Sometimes I Just Want To Quit!
Here lately with all that is going on with my life and my body, I just want to quit all of my extra things in life that wear me out. And do you know what things pop in my mind first? My ministries! My service to God! My gifts that God has given me to use!
I wonder why those are the first to go? I really want to let them go sometimes and just paint! I could spend day after day painting or crafting or sewing.. creating something. That be fun, my mind says over and over!
My mind also tells me that others do it and they seem to be just fine. I have friends and family I know that have started ministries and stopped them. They seem fine. My mind is just trying to help me, slow down, live life at an easier pace, you don’t have to do it, it either will get done by someone else or it just won’t get done. The world will not end if you don’t do it, so my mind says. On and on it goes.
Then today I hear a still small voice today telling me to not look at what my mind, friends and family do! Do not look at what the world does. Look at the examples in the Bible. So my mind starts to wonder, who? I don’t know who to look at in the Bible. Who am I compared to those mighty saints?
And clearly I hear, you are sometimes a Paul and sometimes a Timothy. Sometimes you encourage and sometimes you need encouragement!
So off I go to read about Timothy. What an eye opener! How the Holy Spirit moved in me! You should go read both 1st and 2nd Timothy for yourself! But I will pull out some of the verses that spoke to me for you to see how God can open your eyes to the truth.
12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him,
- Wow! Jesus considers me trustworthy! That pretty much put a real curve in my thoughts about quitting! And He will give me strength. I don’t feel like I have the strength, but God does have all the power in the world and He certainly will share with me what I need to do what He has called me to do!
But wait it does not end there! Not at all!
1 Timothy 14 Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus. and 19 Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
- He gave me faith. Not a little, filled me with it! And love! Filled! But I need to cling to that! My worldly selfish self wants to cling to fun, and laziness, and self, self, self! But if I do that my faith will be shipwrecked.
- Earlier I said I had friends and family quit. Now that I think about it more.
- they may seem fine, and they may be, but I don’t know where their faith is. Is it sailing right along, or is it shipwrecked?
1 Timothy 2:1 I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them.
- People are put in my life for a purpose. I am to help them, intercede for them and be thankful for them. How do I do that staying at home and focusing on me, me, and more me?
1 Timothy 4:7 Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas and old wives’ tales. Instead, train yourself to be godly. 8 “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.”
- This spoke volumes to me. I have to train myself to be godly. Work out! Sweat for it! So, like physical exercise, I am not going to want to, but I need to. I want to quit. But I don’t need to quit!
1 Timothy 4:14 Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received through the prophecy spoken over you when the elders of the church laid their hands on you. 15 Give your complete attention to these matters. Throw yourself into your tasks so that everyone will see your progress. 16 Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you.
- Now darn, did it have to say give my complete attention ? Throw myself into it? Did it have to tell me I am being watched by others? And my own life for me needs to be watched by me? Oh yes it did say that!
2 Timothy 6 This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
- I have to fan into the flames the gift God has given me. Sometimes it is going to try to die out. And I cannot just let it. I have been given all I need …power, love and self-discipline!
2 Timothy 2: Timothy, my dear son, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus. 2 You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.
3 Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them. 5 And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules. 6 And hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their labor. 7 Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things.
- It seems Timothy needed a lot of reminding like I do! Share so that others will share! It won’t be easy, I am a warrior, and that means battles! I have a boss I need to obey!
5 Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.
- It is hard work, but of that God will approve. That makes me smile! I do not want to stand before God and be ashamed of what I did with this life He gave me!
1 Timothy 4:2 ….Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not.
- Well now I could have just read that one and stopped. LOL.
I pray I can be what Paul was advising Timothy to be. I pray I can be a Paul. I am extremely thankful God spoke to me this morning and led me to this “renewing of the mind ” gift He had for me!
I will remember my favorite of all verses in the Bible…
Hebrews 12:1-3 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.[a] Because of the joy[b] awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3 Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people;[c] then you won’t become weary and give up.