I am asked this all the time: “How do you do all you do? Don’t you get tired or burned out? You do too much! Rest and relax some!”
The truth is, I do rest and relax. I don’t think I do tons more than any other woman. But more than most men! I am one of the happiest people I know! Blessed and know it! I do not worry. And even though there some things I would change if I could, I do not dwell on them. Life is too short. I believe we are created to glorify God, to love Him and to love others. So, I try to do that every day. But God is wonderful and lets me have all kinds of things that are blessings to me!
So here is how I do what I do:
First, most of what I do is done during the hours my dear hubby, Dat, works. He works 40 hours a week and drives 45 minutes on way to work. So I really get most of my stuff done in 49 – 50 hours.
I usually get up around the time he leaves. I stay out of his way this way. He does not eat breakfast, or I would cook it for him. I love breakfast. But if I cooked for him, I would cook the good stuff. Good stuff = lots more calories than I normally eat for breakfast.
Every week day I get up around 7:00 am. I have coffee… love my coffee! I start it to cooking then I go pray. Then I do my Bible study while having coffee and some easy breakfast, yogurt, toast, oatmeal or something light. I usually do my Bible Study until about 8:30 am. Then if it is Monday, Wednesday, or Friday I go to Curves to work out with my friend Shelia. (See Shelia on my health page).
Then I get busy with whatever day it is or whatever needs done.
So after Bible study and exercise on the right days this is what happens most times:
Monday: I work from home on the computer and do this for about 2 hours, getting payroll done. It seems to be a priority to everyone! 🙂 I wash some clothes and do some straightening of the house. At 1:00 I leave to volunteer at a women’s shelter for 3 hours. I teach them basic housekeeping skills, cooking, cleaning, and sewing and things like budgeting. The class is an hour. I spend two more hours there being a receptionist, which really means, I get to talk to them a lot! I leave there at 4:30 and either go home and cook supper or go grocery shopping if necessary. I only shop one time p er month if possible except for fresh veggies and fruit. Then I cook and settle down in my chair. I will discuss how productive that chair is later!
Tuesday: I have a Ladies’ Bible Study class that I lead. I cook for it in the morning. It starts at 10:30 we have Bible study, then we eat and chat. We have grown so close. But beyond that, now once a month we all go to the women’s shelter and take a meal. We eat with them and fellowship with them. It is great! We are called, Ladies Becoming Servants, and that is what we want to be! After LBS, I go (usually I have a friend from LBS go with me!) to a local Nursing home and visit some very special friends of mine! I do love them. And they seem to look forward to the visits. I know if I miss, I hear about it! :). After that I go home and work on whatever needs done until time for to make supper for me and hubby. I will list the whatever needs done things under Whenever I figure it out to do! Sometimes I go to a sewing class on or a church meeting on Tuesday nights. Then to the chair!
Wednesday: I usually work on Wednesdays, from about 10:00 am until various times, usually 5:00 pm. Sometimes less. Sometimes I don’t work Wednesday and spend the day with my wonder friend and sister-in-law! We have such fun together, no matter what mundane things we do! If I work all day then I stop and prepare my Team Kids’ lesson for the night. I go to the church a little after 6:00 to help fix supper for the kids, then we have our Team Kids time. I love those kids! I mean it! Dat and Dis have a late supper on Wednesday’s. It is take out a lot of the time. Then to the chair!
Thursday: I do various things. If I did not work Wednesday, I do it on Thursday. Or I get those million little things done in the morning that need done. Right now I go work on the mural I am painting for my wonderful father-in-law. I will post a picture of it when done on my paintings page. In the afternoon, I go to painting class. Right now I do. I am thinking of dropping it. We will see. I stay there til 4:30 then I go to the farmer’s market if it is the right time of year, and you probably can guess the rest… cook, eat, chair!
Friday: Many Friday’s I get little Miss. Lily. She is two now. She is the grandchild of one of my dearest friends, Carol, who has passed away now. I started getting Lily while her grandmother was sick, her mother was in the Army stationed in Afghanistan and her 18 year old father was raising her. I just got her to give him a break. Now I get her because I love her! When Lily is here, I do some special cooking, like baking bread or new recipes. I try to anyway, she is not always agreeable to that. She loves to sit in “the chair” and read books with me! Fridays I use to do some of those “whatever needs done” things or I go to Dollywood with friends or shopping or whatever. Friday nights or Saturday I do some work for work that can only be done when the store is closed.
Saturday’s vary a lot. On a good Saturday I just hang with hubby. On a bad one I do a ton of those “whatever needs done things”.
Sunday’s: I teach Sunday School, a women’s class, go to church, eat, nap, choir practice, church, cook, eat.. and you guessed it, “chair”. I love my chair!
Whenever I can I do Whatever needs done. This is really what makes people think I am so busy. But to me it is just normal. They are:
- Typical stuff like wash clothes, clean house, yard work, iron (not unless I must!) and stuff!
- Sometimes, every 4 -6 weeks or so, I have to drive 1 and 1/2 hours to work to do things on site then drive and hour and a half back! It is a beautiful drive though, and I listen to an audio book so it is fun really.
- I post the weekly sermons on our church’s website, which I keep updated.
- I paint. I paint a lot! Portraits, scenery, anything!
- Work on my website. Look around you will see….. Bible study is the most consistent thing I do it weekly. I would love to get better at updating the other pages!
- Sew! I love to sew, but do not get to do as much as I would like. See my sewing page for some. I hope to sew more in the future! I am getting a quilting machine and table! How exciting!
- Bake bread! I want to get better at this, but dear Dat does not mind my experimenting at all!
- Work on gift baskets. I make things for these. I give them at Christmas or birthdays or whatever. I make the following to put in them:
- Bread, cookies, aprons, hot pads, soaps, jewelry, bath salts, stationary holders,embroidery stockings, towels, pillow cases, t-shirts, jackets and more.
- I make things with wood: walking sticks, signs and more.
- I paint bird houses and other things to make as gifts.
- Crochet. I have a blanket that will cover about 5 people I am working on for about 5 years now!
- Cross stitch: You can make beautiful things with cross stitch. Someday I will post some pictures.
- Visiting people who are sick, shut-in or in the hospital.
- Cook once or twice a month for a family who needs a bit of help here and there.
- Deal with the dog. Training… you should see the tricks I have taught her. Maybe I will post them some day. Grooming. Sometimes I do it myself… ugh!
- Gardening. I have a ton of flower beds and a vegetable garden. See my other page.
- Calls, calls calls,…. I make a lot of them. Some returning calls, some for work, some for people who just need calling.
- Senior Ministry planning and trips!
- Plan and Cook breakfast once a month for kiddos at church.
- Plan and make bracelets for LBS women who have earned new charms.
- Make albums, update website and frames for church of events that have happened at the church.
- Do “whatever” at or for the church. I love my church, I love that church family. God’s people!
- Plan and go to breakfast, meals, movies or shopping with friends.
- Write letters weekly to a dear friend in prison.
- Preserve foods by canning, freezing or drying.
- Read and save recipes on a flash drive so I can have them without all that paper!
For fun, I spend some time on Facebook keeping up with my dear friends and family in Texas and I love Pinterest! I play Sudoku, and word games, crossword puzzles and even Angry Birds! I love magazines and I love to read books!
Now in all of this, my dear hubby Dat gets a lot of my attention. He is a wonderful man, my best friend and the love of my life! I love being with him! And he is a big sports fan. NASCAR and college football. Do you know how much stuff I can get done when these are on? Like now, in my chair, watching football, blogging, and chatting with hubby. A lot of stuff gets done in my chair. All the stuff in bold is done at night or on weekends during sports time. I like sports, I just don’t have to give it my full attention! 🙂
Other things that helps me get it all done is:
- I don’t stress over any of it.
- I love doing most of it.
- I don’t go to bed until after 11:00 pm.
- I can talk on the phone and a lot of it! 🙂
- I can multi-task!
Sound busy to you? It does, but like I said at the beginning, not any busier than most women!